Sunday, January 10, 2010

Last Day of Bonding

Russ. Orth. Church -Built in 1852
Currently Under Renovation

Birch Forest Outside of Petropavlovsk

-15 degrees outside the Skif
I swear she is smiling.



Karina and Mama

I will try and finish my post from last time. I walked away from the computer before I was done, and wouldn't you know it (as any typical 3 year old would do) Karina walked by and touched the button to publish the post! As soon as she did that, we lost our internet connection.

We had such a wonderful weekend with Karina. We have made so many memories to cherish for the rest of her life. So many firsts, too many to count. Trust is being built and she is starting to lean on us for her comfort and safety.

Today was our last official day of bonding. Tomorrow we petition the court for a court date.

We have been able to do some more sight seeing. Valentina took us to the oldest Russian Orthodox Church, as well as inside the breath-taking birch forest. Valentina said that the Russian Orthodox Church celebrates Christ's baptism on January 19th. The priest goes down to the Ishim River, cuts a cross in the ice covered water and blesses the water. The water is well below -40 degrees, but it is tradition that if you need healing, you jump into the icy waters. Valentina said that you will see men and women standing in the frigid temperatures in bathing suits waiting for their turn to jump in. She said people have been healed and no one has ever gotten sick from the cold waters. Can you imagine?

It has been such a pleasure to get to know the history of this city. A city that is building itself up from so many years of oppression. It wasn't until the year 2000 that the government said that Christmas could be celebrated. It was only 2 years ago that they actually got the day off. I am so thankful for our religious freedoms.





3 comments:

  1. As usual, I love the updates. I hope you get good news on a court date for next week!!! Karina LOOKS like she has been in your family forever. She is precious and will fit right in. I'm so happy to hear she is starting to trust you. At least, it's pretty where you are even though it's very cold. It's been SO UGLY here - cold, wet, foggy all day, sort of days. The sun broke out for 1 hour yesterday at our house - first time in two weeks. It hasn't been so bad in other parts of the valley but the fog never seems to lift from our house! Ugh. Enjoy your week. I'll try and call you tonight (your Tues. morning). God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't believe it is you last day of bonding! good luck with getting a court date!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WooHoo! As the roller coaster climbs click click click click...then down for the home stretch and the fun that washes away the anxiety in line and the climb! You are "almose home" as Eva chants when we pass the airplane on Elm usually.

    ReplyDelete